denote or connote
“I don’t think you’re going to win this time
,” says Rosie, trying to signify with her
hands on her hips all salty, completely
forgetting that I have whupped her behind
many times for less salt than that.
I'd like to signify that I'm from Poland and I've never been to the U.S of A
2.prefer
like better; value more highly
I’m ready to fight, cause like I said
I don’t feature a whole lot of chit-chat, I
much prefer to just knock you down right from the jump and save everybody a
lotta precious time.
I prefer eating pizza than pasta because pizza tastes better.
3.hustle
move or cause to move energetically or busily
And I don’t have to earn my pocket m
oney by hustling; George runs errands
for the big boys and sells Christmas cards.
I hustled to come out my shirt, because it was far to tightly done.
4.periscope
an instrument providing a view of an obstructed field
He looks around the park for
Gretchen like a periscope in a submarine movie.
As the bullet hit him, all he could see is a world which looked like through a periscope.
5.static
not in physical motion
Raymond is hollering from the swings
cause he knows I’m about to do my thing cause the man on the loudspeaker has
just announced the fifty-yard dash, although
he might just as well be giving a
recipe for angel food cake cause you can har
dly make out what he’s sayin for the
static.
As the T-Rex came closer he knew to stay static or else he would exist for much longer.
6.rowdy
disturbing the public peace; loud and rough
The parkees unfolding chairs and chasing the
rowdy kids from Lenox as if they had
no right to be there.
Two rowdy salesman came over to us on the Turkish bazar.
7.slosh
spill or splash copiously or clumsily
And sometimes after a rain he likes to step down off his tightrope
right into the gutter and slosh around getting his shoes and cuffs wet.
Whenever it rained the little boy put on his wellies and sloshed around in the puddles.
8.uptight
being in a tense state
I’ll high-prance down 34th Street like a rodeo pony to keep my
knees strong even if it does get my mother
uptight so that she walks ahead like
she’s not with me, don’t know me, is a
ll by herself on a shopping trip, and I am
somebody else’s crazy child.
After he shouted at me, I thought why is he so uptight today.
9.glockenspiel
a percussion instrument consisting of a set of metal bars
Most of the kids in my class
are carrying bass drums and glockenspiels and
flutes.
In year four we learned how to play the glockenspiel; it was surprisingly easy.
rowdy
disturbing the public peace; loud and rough
It may be a dry subject, but this looks like a fast and rowdy take on the campaign trail.
periscope
an instrument providing a view of an obstructed field
It’s almost like a little periscope in the water that allows it to breathe.
prodigy
an unusually gifted or intelligent person
Donald Young was hailed as a tennis prodigy and future grand slam winner at age 15.
The 9 year old boy was so good at football he was called a prodigy even by the bost of the best.
signify
denote or connote
Orange areas signify pollution levels that are dangerous to sensitive populations.
corsage
For the wedding her mother gave the bride a beautiful corsage of flowers.
Spiel
lausible
glib talk
The salesman thought he really engaged the audience after his 30 minute spiel however almost everyone was really bored.
hustle
move or cause to move energetically or busily.
I hustled up and down the court, evading defenders and positioning myself for easy baskets, but the passes never came.
— New York Times (Sep 12, 2015)
liable
subject to legal action
A state investigation found that both firms were liable for the back wages.
— Los Angeles Times (Sep 4, 2015)
The man was a liable source of information to the detective.
ventriloquist
a performer who projects the voice into a wooden dummy
I am not sure if the boy liked it, but the ventriloquist sure made him say some funny stuff.
— Washington Post (Sep 3, 2015)
The ventriloquist's doll was so hilarious he made some of the men in the room cry of laughter
jam-packed
filled to capacity
The water container was jam packed, therefore some of the water had spilled out.
squint
partly close one's eyes, as when hit by direct blinding light
He squinted, trying to see minute specks that might be people.
— The City of Ember
I squinted in the distance because the sun was shining in my eyes.
chit-chat
light informal conversation for social occasions
After school me and my friends had a chit-chat before my mother came to pick me up.
quicksilver
heavy silvery toxic univalent and bivalent metallic element
I thought that melted metal looked more like quicksilver.
No comments:
Post a Comment